Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Cast, LAX, and Other Completely Unrelated Things

So. The boy.  He went almost 9 years without a broken bone, I will give him that.  Nevermind he had ringworm 3 times, a staph infection once, had to get a staple in his HEAD when he was 4 bc a friend threw a metal toy at him, pulled his elbow out of socket when he threw a tantrum while I was holding his hand at age 2, and broke his two front baby teeth out of his mouth when he tripped on a cement stepping stone at age 5.  But no broken bones...until now.

It all happened one day when I forced him off of the XBox and made him go to Sky Zone to play with a friend.  What I really wanted, of course, was to be able to talk to another adult.  It had been a horrible morning.  The boy had argued with me about pretty much EVERYTHING.  And he didn't want to go to Sky Zone, nor did he want to play once he got there.  Total brat.  But I made him.  And then, to complete the Awesome Mom essay I was writing, I totally just thought he was being dramatic/trying to go home when he limped over to me saying his ankle was hurt.  Didn't even take him to the doctor till the next day (in a little bit of fairness to me, it was barely swollen that first day, whereas the whole foot, even the toes, was swollen the next morning).  I just sat right there talking to my friend and made him wait.  With a broken ankle.

Yep. I'm awesome.

Grammy brought him balloons.


He actually didn't mind the cast that much because he was able to play XBox pretty much all day.  I usually restrict him to just a few hours a day-and make him play outside, read, etc the rest of the time.  But since he was pretty limited, I allowed much more time on it.


Grammy also brought him a snow cone maker.


Taking a bath with his leg in a garbage bag and hanging over the side.  


 This day I FORCED him off the XBox and outside to eat this.  It was rough.



His toes were sticking out of the cast, and we couldn't wash them because we couldn't risk getting the cast wet.  There was a lady sitting next to us in the "cast cutting off area" who had cast on the exact part of her leg that Jacob did.  When they cut hers off, her leg hair had grown so much (she had it on for a month) that it looked like a man's leg.  Totally gross.
 Jacob's was just dirty.  AND IT SMELLED SO BAD.  I mean, the smell overtook the whole room.

A few months ago, Jacob declared he wanted to play Lacrosse the next season.  Alright.  And then I got a flyer in the mail about a Lacrosse camp during the summer.  But when I told him about it, he said, "nevermind, I don't want to play anymore."  But the camp only cost $45.  And they provided him with a stick.  I told him he was going (I would rather he try it when it I would only be out $45 if he didn't like it, verses decide he did want to play, buy all the equipment for the season, start playing and have him find out he didn't like it).  I literally had to force him to go.  Practically had to drap him.  It got ugly. 
You may think this is going to or coming from the camp.  You would be wrong.  It is on the way to my parent's house. 
 And here is the stick next to the door from when he had just gone outside to throw/catch the ball.
   
And here he is at my mom and dad's one day playing by himself.


And here he is watching Kyler and Noah playing.

And here is a ball that I sat on.  Yep. It's good to be right sometimes.

Here he is on the first day of camp.  He was still very mad at me.  Yes, he is still in the cast at this point.  I'm working on Mother of the Year, remember?  
Seriously, the camp was scheduled to start the day after his cast check up/fingers were crossed he was getting it off.  But then they changed it to a few days before.  I called the coach and he said they were just working on learning how to use the stick the first couple times, so everything was good.


He's the one with the cast ;)
The coach walked up to us and said, "You'll be the first person to play lacrosse wearing a cast."  Not really helping coach...
Oh this pic below cracks me up because the coach had just said, "Now listen, this is very important."  Not one kids was even looking his way, much less paying attention.  Not even his assistant dude to the left.

Jon was able to take Jacob to a few Grizzlies games this season, and Jacob uses one of the ticket stubs as a book mark :)

Our summer reading :)

Mom's dog, Charlie.  I just like dogs too much I guess.  I just think their personalities are funny, like how Charlie thinks this bean bag chair is his. 


Some of Maggie's hair when I was rubbing her.  We joke that she is working on making another dog.

At a birthday party.  The balding dad at the bottom of the pic was the dad of the birthday boy.  He had told his wife that he would take over the party games.  This game right here is supposed to have the kids lined up in 4 rows/teams, and they were supposed to soak a sponge, swim to the ledge and squeeze the sponge into their team's cup.  All of us moms were crying we were laughing so hard.  Not to mention the birthday boy's mom is a teacher, so there were several other teacher moms there.  Men.  Thinking they can control a group of kids.  Awesomeness. 

Eventually the game got sort of underway.  

She ordered cupcakes from Costco (Sams? can't remember...) and when she picked them up, they were HUGE.  Like half the size of a cake.  This picture doesn't do them justice.  I don't think one single kid finished a whole one, if that says anything.

I just noticed this on Dad's bulletin board.  Morgan wrote this, not recently, but I guess within the past year or so.  Just cute.

Maggie. 

I just like how my Nook says, "Read Forever" when I first turn it on.

My kitchen table.  We never use it for meals anymore.  We eat on trays and watch TV.  Some will judge, but I have to say I LOVE IT.  I always felt so awkward at the dinner table.  Growing up and when Jon and I first got married and we had meals with Hallie and Abby.  Like it was forced conversation.  Anyway, we always pick a show everyone will like.  Faves are Pawn Stars, Chopped, Pickers, Top Shot, The Mentalist.  Yes, we are weird.  But whatever.  We totally bond over it and miss it when we don't get to do it.

Ohhhhh, that's where you put your Fruit Roll Up wrapper if you are an 8 year old boy.  See, this blog is educational.


One of our employees drives this:  a SONIC!!  And another keeps red and blue bands on his braces for our company colors.  Love these kids :)

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite post you have ever done. I can't pinpoint why. I will comment more when not on the iPad... Too hard to type.

    ReplyDelete