Monday, February 16, 2015

January

As it turns out, Jacob is not only a talented speller (round 2 baby) but he also can churn out quite the Native American Dwelling.  The students had 4 options to choose from.  Then they had to bring the supplies with them to school to actually construct them there.  Then a couple from each class were chosen to be in the exhibit held at the town museum. 

I'm pretty sure that is supposed to say "NortheasterN."  My little speller.


 You can't see but inside is a little fire made from tissue paper.  And he tiered the sticks to make it look like the picture.


 You see the rock in the bottom right corner?  He had collected small rocks to put by the river, but that big one was "to make it more interesting. An because I like rocks."  Ok.
The cutest part was that he was REALLY proud.  He normally could care less about grades and all that, I don't think he was even impressed with himself for making it to the actual spelling bee by beating out all the other kids in his classroom.  But this, I could tell he was happy.  He didn't want to leave the museum.




 These are a few of his friends' projects.  Above it Jonathan's.
Below is Julian's.

And Taylor's.



We got Jacob tickets to see the Globetrotters for Christmas.  It was really perfect: first, there was a Groupon about 2 weeks before Christmas for 40% off, and second the actual game was January 10.  
As we were riding to the game, I wanted to make sure that Jacob and his friends understood exactly the Globetrotters did so that they wouldn't be expecting a serious game.  They scoffed at me and Jacob informed me that they had seen the Globetrotters on Scooby Doo and Kickin' It (a karate tv show they like).
Then a couple days later, that episode of Kickin' it actually reran.  That big guy on the right? We got a pic with him.  

We actually only bought 4 tickets-one for Jon, Jacob, a friend, and me.  But then that day leading up till time to leave a 2nd friend was over playing (our neighborhood is crawling with boys).  And Jacob asked me if I would stay home so he could go.  Since I have been the mom of a boy for 10 years now, and since I am NOT a huge basketball fan, I actually didn't get my feelings hurt at all and was willing to do this.  But Jon would not have any of this and insisted we would make it work out.

 So here we are in our really good seats (way to go Groupon).  Where is Jon you ask?


Well he bought the cheapest ticket available because we knew we wouldn't get one together anyway and he sat up there.  



I have to say though that I don't think he minded...



After half time we went up there and sat with him.  The boys actually were glad for the change I think because they had more room to move.  Nicole, if you are reading this, I seriously feel like this could be a conversation between you and Hughes.  First, just the mere fact that he was PERFECTLY fine sitting alone.  Second, I asked him 4 frantic questions and he answered exactly 1 of them...  #garzolispaz


 So then after the game, they set the timer for 30 minutes and took pics with and signed autographs for fans!! How smart is that?!  Genius.  The boys were thrilled. For documentation purposes, that is Julian on the left, RJ on the right. And the player is Flip. 




 Big Easy, the guy on the tv show :)  It's kind of like we know a famous tv person now.  




They actually had little stands STRATEGICALLY placed near where the players were standing for you to purchase things to get signed. We did not purchase anything, just got pics, but look how cool this one looks with everyone holding their balls out?   Haha suckers.  Joke's on you.


 My second basketball game of the year.  And it's only February.  It's amazing really because I am sincerely not a fan.  
Sonic buys season tickets (or is given them since they sponsor the Grizzlies??) and then the managers can use them.
 We got 4 and let Jacob bring a friend.
 Selfie fail...

 Selfie success.





 The Fed Ex Forum has this weird "Money Man" next to it's ATM.  
**See how his friend has a boot thing on his foot? Well that is because a couple weeks prior, the two of them were over a 3rd boy's house playing tag capture the flag or something else equally ridiculous inside the house when he fell and broke his foot.  Yuck.
Oh, and see the hoodie the friend is wearing? Jacob bought that for him with his OWN money for Christmas.  Michael is his "best friend" and he said he wanted to buy him a "good hoodie.  Like, a real name one."  It was really sweet because Michael is from a lower income/daddy not around kind of situation.


Peeling peanuts.  No sugar, and it kept them busy.  And they were allowed, encouraged even, to make a mess.  Highly recommend.




1 comment:

  1. My favorite part of the whole post?

    "...And because I like rocks." Haha! He is so great.

    I also love the #garzolispaz part, of course. I can totally see Jon/Hughes sitting there, stoic, calm, passive...while you/I frantically spout out questions and apologies and anxious looks. Cracking up.

    I am so jealous of your neighborhood with all of the kids.

    Buying the hoodie for his friend. Stop. He is the best.

    I hate basketball. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete