Monday, January 27, 2014

Basketball, Boy Bauer, and Misc

Basketball is in full swing, and Jacob is LOVING it.  He didn't at first.  In fact, when we were in the parking lot right before the first practice he declared he did not want to do it anymore.  After the second practice he still said he didn't like it but I could tell he had fun while there.  But then the first game happened and it was love at first block, literally.  Those first few weeks he still hadn't really caught on to the rules and he wasn't making any shots-we found out we had our goal at home set a foot lower so on the actual court his kept hitting the rim-we have fixed it now.  HOWEVER, he heard "block your player" and he was ALL OVER IT.  It was like he thought, "finally a term I understand-blocking." 

Exhibits A, B, C, & D





This is the 2nd game where he actually made the first goal after both teams had struggled for several minutes to get one in.  It was pretty exciting, and he made the "YES!" gesture with his arm.




This was right before his first game.  We came early to get our jerseys and they were just lying there in numerical order.  He grabbed the one on top (#3) but then I saw #4 under it and spazzed, "GET THAT ONE!!"  #4 was Hallie's number all throughout highschool, middle school, and maybe even some when she was little.  Her wedding was the 4th one held at her wedding venue, and her wedding license announcement was the 4th in the list in the newspaper.  We have tried to get #4 for the last two years of football, but it hasn't been available (plus I am not sure he would go for it anyway bc he picks football numbers based on actual people in the league.  He isn't quite as obsessed with basketball).






We are taking turns bringing snacks-which, for the record I think is silly.  I mean, it's not like the snack makes it so we don't have to feed them lunch.  They are still starving afterward.  But whatever.  There is this adorable room just off of the court which has somehow been empty after our games so far, and they are really cute sitting around discussing the game, eating their chips and drinking their caprisuns  :)

Nicole came to visit us and we went out to eat after the game-and we ordered stun guns from Amazon!! All-in-all a typical random-Garzoli-style get together :)

Hallie had a gender reveal party at her work (which has this adorable little kitchen area).  Her appointment was in the morning and she was going to have to go in after.  She knew her co-workers would be dying to find out but didn't want to tell them first so she invited us and her mom too.  
She brought a blue balloon and a pink balloon.  The plan was that she and Josh would each blow one up and the one with the wrong color would let his/hers go and the one with the right color would keep his/hers inflated. 
 
Yes you do see a bunch of Sonic teas on the table :)



It's a boy!! And obviously Josh is quite excited :)
 



 He is all sprawled out!

Jacob was coincidentally out of school that day, so he got to come too!! He wrote "It's a boy!" on the balloon and drew a face.  He also took it home...

 ...and made a bed for it.  He also refers to it as "Maverick," which is what Hallie is planning on naming the baby.  Thus, we have all started referring to the balloon as Maverick.  This type of thing can be heard in our house, "Mom, where is Maverick?"  "He's downstairs I think."
**Incidentally, we are currently on Maverick #3 because as you might guess, a 9 year old boy and a crazy dog (Gonzo) don't really make a balloon-friendly environment.  Jacob has cried both times Maverick has popped.  Thank goodness I randomly had some balloons (hoarding 101=emergency birthday supplies).

Random snuggle moment

Jacob checking out Audible for the first time.  We quickly learned he would have to listen on his iPod so that it wouldn't interfere with playing games on the iPad.  So now the nightly routine goes like this:  brushes teeth, say our prayers, read a regular book together, then he gets 30 minutes to play on the iPad while also listening to another book. Because of Audible and being sick during Christmas break he has actually completed 4 books since Christmas and it is January 27.  And we are of course reading/listening to two more now.

These two kids have known each other since kindergarten.  We walk to and from school together, and they have spent many afternoons/Saturdays together playing.  But this was the first time we ever had Julian over to spend the night and they wanted to do EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THE OTHER WANTED THE WHOLE ENTIRE NIGHT.  I have to say, it was really annoying because it just ended up being work for me-having to help them compromise.  But I finally got them to play board games.  We started with Outburst Jr.  (which was a HUGE hit) and I had to play with them for that.  But they quickly moved on to Battleship and Connect Four and playing by themselves. Finally, relaxation for me.  UNTIL they decided to have a checker war with each other with the Connect Four pieces.  #stillfindingtheminoddplaces


#snoozing

This is one of the door hangers I got Hallie for Christmas.  Jacob's art teacher makes them.  She is insanely talented.  I currently own 2 (3?) t-shirts that she designs, one sweatshirt, & 2 door hangers.  I have another door hanger on order and Hallie has 3 more.  I almost got our Sonic group to hire her to design our summer t-shirts last year, but Sonic Corporate wouldn't let us have different ones from other national stores.  Plus, I think I am going to hire her to do a paint party for Abby's 18th bday party (one of those things where everyone paints the same thing and the instructor walks you through it).  I told her she needs to just quite her day job and become my personal assistant apparently.

Keith and Terrin about to take a helicopter ride.

I am not very talented when it comes to drawing/painting/crafting but I have to give myself props sometimes on my creative picture ideas.  I had these collage frames that did have all different pics in them but because I am like my Aunt Debbie and can't keep any decorations the same for long, I took them out and blew up some pics that Jon had taken while bike riding in the woods.  The one on the right is a bridge he built over a ditch (the man always has to have a project), and the one in the middle is a tree near the bridge with the words, "JAKES BRIDGE 2011" carved in it :)  The one on the left is just pretty.  I'm pretty obsessed with how they turned out-I think it looks like you are looking through a window.



Buster when he was sick over Christmas.  Look at those pink/fever cheeks and cute bed head :(

I think this was New Year's eve.  We were watching a movie.  Clearly partying it up.




4 comments:

  1. Maverick. The birthday balloons hoarding. Love it.

    THOSE PICS LOOK AWESOME!!!! I am TOTALLY IMPRESSED!

    The blocking is genius. I love all of his sports.

    I am not super sure what I think about sleepovers. Figure out the secret to those things and let me know before we get there. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is to cute that Jacob is taking care of a balloon. I mean maverick �� I love the way the frames turned out. I did just rearrange all my stuff the other day. So glad he likes basketball, it is my favorite sport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Ordering stun guns at Huey's is one of my favorite parts of 2014.
    2. Jacob is awesome at basketball. I think it is here to stay.
    3. I GOT TO SEE HIM PLAY!!!!!!!!!!AGH!!!!!!!!!
    4. Maverick. Oh my gosh. That is hilarious.
    5. OF COURSE you had balloons hoarded.
    6. Board Games. Shannon, you are my mom's daughter.
    7. Those collage pics!?!!? GENIUS. I am totally stealing that immediately.
    8. Jacob's art teacher. Oh my gosh. What kind of material is that? So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this little boy - especially his love of basketball which he know is his grammy's favorite sport. The framed snap shots are awesome, if I had the energy to change things around I would totally steal that idea. Maverick - ugh I am going to call him Rick LOL

    ReplyDelete