Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Morgan is a Rock Star

About 6 months ago (I think??) Morgan decided she wanted to learn how to play guitar.  So Michael enrolled her into The School of Rock (yes just like the movie).  Their premise is to teach kids how to play instruments using music they actually LIKE rather than teaching them Happy Birthday and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.  When a kid signs up, they actually ask them questions about what kind of music they listen to and then assign a teacher/group accordingly.  Brilliant.  Anyway, when they asked Morgan, she started naming all kinds of Rock and Roll songs, not the cute pop songs that you would have thought.  Michael was even surprised.  Thus, she began learning the electric guitar.  He bought a guitar and an amp.  From there she began learning/practicing at her typical "I will be perfect at this" rate and was consequently asked to join the band.  The band's age group usually starts at 12 (11? I can't remember but it is older than she is) but in this case they wanted to make an exception.  Of course they did. This past weekend their band played put on a concert at Hard Rock downtown.  A gig, if you will.  #ofcoursetheydid




 Of course I stalked her until I found her pre-show.   When I called out her name to get a pic, she looked up and yelled, "NO! I don't want any magnets."  Looked away, but then looked right back again with a big smile.  Whatever.  She's totally hoping I make posters and everything out of this moment. Which, of course, I will.






The first song:  she is on the far left.




Obviously they realized her full talent by the time they got around to stage placement for this number. 




And here she is performing a SOLO!!!!!!!  It starts at 36 seconds. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFPvmPAP5Y&list=UUlEiBflpzVOnuPlwMTh3iCQ   If you notice the camera moves quite a bit a couple times.  It is because she kept looking at me (I found out later it was because the drummer was going faster than he was supposed to so she was worried about it messing her up), but I kept giving her thumbs up.  I CRAZY LOVE THAT SHE WAS LOOKING TO ME FOR ASSURANCE.  Love my Morgie Porgie.





 Afterward we walked down Beale Street.





 Watching the flipping guys.




 We went into A. Schwab's where mom bought them these jellybeans.  They were all these gross flavors like boogers.  Notice Morgan's face.  She just had a nasty one.  Really gross, but it did remind me of the ones in the Harry Potter books!! Incidentally, that is going well, we are even calling Morgan at night and reading through face time!  But we haven't gotten to the nasty candy part so I am excited to see their reaction when we get there.




 And they tried on goofy hats :)




2 comments:

  1. What. on. Earth.

    This is not real life. Except it is, I guess.

    SHE IS AWESOME!!!

    My fave part is totally that she was looking for you. That is the best.

    HARRY POTTER!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely got a bit teary eyed thinking of her looking to you for the thumbs up.

    And then again about Harry Potter and Face Timing during it.

    She is a born star. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete