Monday, January 16, 2012

A Boy, His Dad, & His Dog

Sometime last year Jon decided he wanted to start bike riding as a form of exercise, and he needed to find some good trails.  Fortunately, we live in Collierville, a town whose apparent goal is to make itself into its own separate nation (and who knows, maybe one day Colliervanians will find a way to completely separate into a new continent...the possibilities are endless). Anyway, besides looking for ways to declare their school district independent (for real, Collierville is working on lawfully unaffiliating-don't know if that is a word or not-itself from the Shelby County School System, thereby making themselves immune to the Memphis City School System takeover), the town also has its own little nature conservation/community biking-hiking trail. It's called the Wolf River Conservancy, WRC, and has its own committee and everything. Sorry if this is boring you, but I am just continuously amazed at how this little town so blatantly develops ways to sever itself from Memphis. Not that I blame them or anything. But I digress. So Jon discovered this area, rides his bike there, and takes Jacob for lots of little boy adventures. I went along yesterday to check this guy business out:

You see Jon's back pack there? It has all the emergency type necessities: water, bandaids, toilet paper...  Gonzo is with them also. So cute. 



 Charlie Brown tree!
 Every boy should own a pair of boots. Because there are countless ways to use them appropriately. 

 "This is real driftwood. See how it is smooth?" okaaayyy


He was in a daze. That kind of daze where you could pass out from utter relaxation or erupt in giggles from happiness. He erupted. 


There are a few sandbars that have formed due to the river rising and receding. When they first told me about these sandbars, I imagined small bumps of sand...
 But as you can see, I don't think we will ever need to go to the ocean again...



 We claimed this land. Take that Collierville.
 A couple of cool pics. The one above was an accident. Looks neat though I think. The one below looks to me like either the landscape of another planet, or a pic taken from an airplane flying over the desert.

I mean, seriously, just give me a lounge chair and suntan lotion. It was huge. And, well, muddy. But I never actually get in the ocean anyway.

Gonzo. We have such fun making fun of him. He thinks he is such a stud.


His paws got so muddy that he was having trouble walking. Not a stud anymore...

I love a blue sky.

Again, somewhere in that land of extreme relaxation and supreme jubilation. 

Footprints from my guys. :)
A picture of me was taken! wow.

A video of Gonzo. He had just been running around in wild circles. Until I pulled out my phone to record it of course. But still, this is cute.



5 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I was not aware of the Collierville separation situation but I do approve. Especially of the school separation because I wish our community would break away from Knoxville. Anyway, I love the adventure, love his focus, LOVE Gonzo, but I miss the glasses! Where are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look like so much fun..... i want to know if you will be invited back next time.. (and if this lets me comment, it will be a miracle).

    Oh. That one picture looks like aliens are about to beam him up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to post a comment for a week... Hope it works this time....


    LOVE the pics! The collierville

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog. Jacob is in his element and its wonderful that Jon likes the outdoors because Jacob is a serious outdoor person.

    ReplyDelete