Sunday, July 6, 2014

And so 3rd grade is over.  Craziness.  My son is going to be a 4th grader in a few short weeks.  I just can't believe it.  Here are his school pics, which I never buy and will probably regret one day, but I have just always hated school pics.  My scanner was being stupid and not working correctly, but you get the idea.





Here is some of his school work:

Random fish

He had to do a project at the beginning of the year where he brings 3 things in a bag that tell something about him, and decorate the bag.  I am pretty sure that by "decorate the bag" the teacher meant color it or something in that area, but Jacob was having none of that.  So we copied pics and glued them on.






At Christmas time he was supposed to bring 3 things that represent his fave family traditions.  But I am a mom of a boy.  A boy that is not careful with stuff.  So I printed out 8X10 pics of the items and let him bring in those.
The first was his fave Christmas movie-The Polar Express
 His note card said, "Polar express is my favorit one.  I even have an orderment of it.  my favorite part is when the tree lites up."  
I would just like to point out that he obviously knows how to spell correctly, but is just too lazy to do it sometimes.  Case in point, he spells 'favorite' wrong one time, but then correctly the next time.  #boys


Obviously he couldn't even have brought his Elf.
 "each year I wake up and try to find my elf on the shelf is.  Sometimes he brings me eany (any?) Presints.  And some time he wheres a football jersey."  Ok, so maybe he doesn't know how to spell and when he gets it right it is just a coincidence...



Making cookies!! Again, obviously he couldn't bring this.
"every my sisters and brother (man he loves Josh) come over to make chrismis cookies.  We pick the top six best ones we made and put those on a plate for santa."




 I have no idea what this was supposed to be but I just wanted to document that the boy is still on his "if I have to color it then I am going to go against every social coloring norm and make it all rainbow" stage.




"My snowman is cool.  One reason is he has a pet dog.  Another reason is because he is really strong.  When it's midnight he turns into a dog.  And at dawn he turns back into a snowman.  My snowman can even survive in sumer and in spring.  He has three friends James, Hunter, and Conner.  They like to play games like 3 corners and heads up 7 up.  He lives in Nevada, Las Vegas.  Good thing he doesn't melt in hot area's.  He weigh's about 392 pounds and about 5 feet tall.  Every day he walks his snow dog for about 2 hours.  He also like's to play video games.  His favorite sport is football and his favorite team is the broncos.  He also like's basketball.  His arm's usaly snap but they've got plenty of sticks where he lives.  My snowman is the best snowman I know.  And that is why my snowman is cool."

#1  Apparently they had recently learned about apostrophes.
#2  I'm not sure he quite grasped the concept...
#3  Nevada, Las Vegas.  Adorable
#4  Good thing he doesn't melt!
#5  Plenty of sticks.  Hilarious.



 They had to read a book and do an oral report on it.  They had to deliver the report in first person as if they were the character and dress up like them.  When the assignment was given, we had just started reading a non-fiction book that twin NFL football playing brothers Tiki and Ronde Barber have written about themselves as kids in middle school learning how to balance playing on a competitive team versus little league where every player got play time, adjusting to middle school, growing up, etc.  Obviously a mother's dream.  Anyway, he decided to do his report on it. One of the brothers ended up playing for the NY Giants so Jacob dressed up like him and wore his jersey from his first year playing football.


I don't know what the assignment was but I like this, partly because it just shows what is going on in his brain (rockets that day) and partly because it shows his complete lack of interest in anything slightly crafty (scribble scrabble coloring).



Ahhh the famous "People Who Light Up My Life" assignment.  
The four who made the cut were Jon, Abby, Josh (of course) and ME! I was so excited.  I felt bad for Hallie, but mostly excited that I made it. 

"Some of the people that light up my are my sister, my mom, brother, and my dad.  My dad is one of the people that light up my life.  One of the things he does that lights up my life is when he plays football with me outside.  Another reason is when he watches football with me.  And when he taught me how to ride a bike. 
Another person that lights up my life is my mom.  My mom lights up my life when she keeps me company.  And when she reads to me at night.  And when she tv shows with me.
My brother is a nother person that lights up my life.  Josh lights up my life when he tells jokes (that got cut off in the scan).  he also lights up my life when we eat at a restaurant.  and when we play video games on the xbox.
And last but not least there's my sister abby.  she lites up my life when she spends the night. Another reason is when she takes me places.  talks to me on the phone."


A little Worm Yogurt recipe he made up. Yumm.



Rainbow turtles obviously.


The thank you card I made for him to give all of his teachers at the end of the year.


His teacher gave out "money" for good behavior and they used it to buy stuff at the "store." 


Cute pumpkins.

Rainbow sunshine.  Duh. 


They made this book during the last week of school:
 You can't see it too well under the crayon but the top box was labeled "At First I Was..." and he filled in "cool."  The bottom box says "But Now I Am..." and he filled in "awesome."
 This page lets us know his favorite subject is math, which is interesting bc that is the subject that his grade fluctuated all year between a B and a C, he failed/did badly on many a test, and HATED the homework the most.


 "What I'll Always Remember About My Teacher."  Yep. He skipped right over this page.
 I LOVE that in the last box, for what he learned in spelling, he wrote "incomprehensible."  That word was on the last spelling test of the year and let me tell you, it took him FOREVER to get it down.  Hilarious.
 In science he learned that a "tooth disintegrates in coke."  Grandma would have been proud.  "Shannon, don't drink that Coke! If you put a piece of meat in a bowl of Coke and let it sit over night, the meat will be gone the next day.  Eat up your insides!"

They took notes this year.  Yea.  Notes.  This was his ELA Notebook (I can never remember what that stands for, but basically it is grammar/literature).

Is that big word written in red a combination of the two words Fable and Lesson?  Because if it is, that is actually kind of on the nose....


These notes they took.  I am sure the intention behind it was a good one, but really. If on the 1st day of the new school year the teacher just says, "Ok, class, take out your notebooks and take notes on my lecture" do they really think the kids will have learned how to do it from this past year? I am doubting it.  HOWEVER, what would have been nice is if they had spent that time doing, I don't know, MULTIPLICATION QUIZZES  instead, could that maybe help them a little more??? Hmmmm????  Instead they spent 2 weeks- TWO WEEKS-on multiplication, and never did any kind of timed quizzes, nor were the parents told to do flash cards on sets (you know, like 1s and 2s this week, 3s and 4s next week, etc.)  Oh, but we have the notes.


Still, him taking notes is a cute mental image :)

1 comment:

  1. I think I say this a lot, but this is my favorite post. Your comments are hilarious, and the assignments give so much insight into his personality.

    First, I have to note the coke experiment. I feel like nanny was present during that experiment. "Eat up your insides." Haha! It is exactly why I don't drink soft drinks.

    All of his coloring. He is really creative, actually. BUT, why do they make them color? They aren't in kindergartnen- I feel like the coloring part could be optional?

    Also, it makes me happy for Melissa that you are paying the way and teaching her the lessons for the mom or boys- copying the favorites for example. Genius.

    The snowman. In general.

    I was cracking up about you feeling bad for hallie not making the cut... But not really caring that much because at least you did. Haha!

    He left the teacher page blank. Love him.

    Incomprehensible seems like a really hard word for his age. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete