Thursday, May 24, 2012

Track

I think most of you know that Jacob has not shown much interest in sports. Or anything, really, that takes him away from Legos and the trampoline.  Not that I haven't tried. First there was Karate. Which he liked. Mostly.  But then we got burnt out.  Next we tried swimming. Which he liked. Mostly.  Until the meets where he displayed a kind of terror I have only seen in horror movies when an actor is about to die a horrible death. Seriously, I had to stand next to him up until the second he jumped in the water, and then run around to the end of the lane to be there when he finished.  And he would usually stop somewhere in the middle of the lane to check and see that I was where I was supposed to be (not really caring if he came in dead last because of this). When I started having to resort to bribing him to finish a meet, we stopped swimming. Then came all kinds of sign-ups for soccer, T-ball, basketball, wrestling (I really thought he would jump on that one). To no avail. Sigh.  Then, this past spring I gave him an ultimatum: pick something or I would. He thought for a minute and said, "You know, I really like to run. Is there a running team?" Yes there is!!! And thus my track star was born.  The amazing thing about this track season was that there had never been a Collierville group before.  People in Collierville had to join the Briarcrest group, which isn't far away, but Jacob is quite the homebody and I have no doubt that it would have taken some warming up to.  But this year, SYS decided that Briarcrest group was too big and they needed to split it up. Our Collierville group even practiced at the track behind Jacob's school, so we could walk/bike there! When we got to the first practice, Jacob turned around and said to Jon and me, "Ok, you can go now."  And we hadn't even found his coach yet! It was amazing how much he grew as a runner over the season.  He had a great time at all the meets, and the night before the last meet he even said he was going to be sad when it was over!  So here are all the end of the season pics :)
 This is all the boys ages 5-12 I think...
 The whole team is playing with something electronic.  Jacob has let someone play with his iPod here.
 He was so cuddly in his sweats! :)










This is his group, the 5-7 boys. 

(L to R)  Alfie, Nolan, Dailin, Jacob, Will, Eli, Coby (in front)
 Random things he picked up on the way to practice one night...
 Sathiya, Jacob, Eli, and Coby in the back.  This is at practice.
 Running with Eli at practice.
 Running with Eli and Nolan at practice.
 Getting instruction from Coach Aida.
 Jacob, Alfie, and Will.
 The winning relay team!  Jacob, Eli, Alfie, and Will.
 Morgie Porgie eating some frozen yogurt.
 Goober
 Eating an apple :)  Jacob says that on track meet days he has to go on a diet.
 Morgan running.  She is on the left.
 Morgan won 2nd place in the 800.

 Friend Alfie. 
 Friend Jackson.  This kid was hilarious.  My fave Jackson moments:  1)He always ate ice out of our cooler.  One time he told me, "my dad brought ice today, but I like yours more."  2)They always got their ribbons from the meets at the practice following that meet. One time, he was handed a 2nd place ribbon and he told the director, "You made a mistake! (with hands on hips) I got first place!"  3) He is 5, so he got his medal the weekend before (they had their championship earlier), but he came to the older kids' championship meet.  He marched over to our tent as soon as he saw us and said, "Na na na na na." 
 Championship shirt!  The back of it says, "My sport is your sport's punishment."  Jacob loves that.


 Here is the team pic.  Jacob looking awesome.

At the banquet.  Jacob decided he needed a mohawk for it...He is with friend Alfie.
 Getting his trophy.
 Just staring at it...

 Group pic with their trophies.  It came out blurry. Hoping to get a copy from another mom.
 With Coaches Aida and Tammy.


 With friends Alfie and Dailin.

Jack, Sathiya, Jake, Jackson

3 comments:

  1. SO MUCH here...the mohawk! The winning relay team, walking to practice!, the back of the shirt saying (love, love that!), Morgan being a goober, his face in the professional team picture.

    My fave part is probably the swimming story, though. I had no idea. He is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nicole's comments almost exactly. The swimming story is hilarious. Anderson seems to be a lot like Jacob at each stage of his life, so I see this as our future.

    That Alfie kid is hilarious.

    LOVE the big grinning pic and the stuff he found walking to practice!

    Too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these pictures since I only saw them run once (bad grammy) but in my defense everyone knows how I feel about heat. Just my luck he would pick (hot) track as "his" sport. Try to push Basketball, that is played inside. LOVE BASKETBALL

    ReplyDelete