Friday, June 24, 2011

More Summer Fun

I am just having so much fun with my little people this summer!!! Jacob has been enjoying having friends over, going to friends' houses, and just in general not being at camp. And I am enjoying that as well.  I also love getting to "kidnap" Morgan from her daycare once a week. She screams when she sees us, runs over, and yells bye to all the sad kids watching from a distance (I do feel bad for them...) But don't feel too bad for Morgan on the days she is there...she runs that place. It is the same place where Jessica works, the same place she went for 3 years before starting school. So all the teachers know her and pretty much let her run wild all over the place, letting her stop in random rooms to "help."  But she still loves getting her day with us and once in the car asks, "where are we going today?"

We visited the Pink Palace recently, which they both loved last year, but are bored with this year. The Pink Palace offers a free "summer" membership each year, so you really can't pass it up. Except of course that Aunt Shae is a sucker.  And there is a gift shop. So we bought rock candy (a MUST) and a volcano kit. More to come on that in a later post. The best part about the visit this day was that there were random employees spread throughout the museum with tables and different "artifacts" to hold and learn about. Here they are in Civil War getup:


 Just love wearing them out...

 We went to the movies one day.  The Malco does a "summer" movie session where they show last year's movies for just $2 per person, and you can get popcorn/drink/candy for $2 each also. It's a good deal, unless you are Aunt Shae, a.k.a. "the sucker" and you stop at the candy store to let them load up their priced-by-the-ounce bags...

Our most recent adventure, and I do mean adventure, was downtown Memphis. I am not sure what I was thinking when I decided that it was a good idea to take two 6 year olds downtown by myself, but it really turned out to be a great day!! I was totally nervous though, not only to be downtown with them, but because I had decided we were going to travel by trolley. Cheap and fun, right? Yes, but take into account I had never really used the trolley system before, and that I actually had to change trolleys...well, you get the idea. But we did it!! When the day was over I stated how relieved I was that we didn't get lost anywhere, and Morgan just looked at me for a really long time. I know exactly what she was thinking...

 First we started out at the Peabody to watch the ducks march in.



 The duck master is giving the presentation, telling the history of the hotel, how the duck tradition began, etc. It was interesting for me. For the kids, it just built the whole thing up as a really big production about to happen...

...then 4 ducks waddle in and...drum roll please...jump into the fountain!! Jacob said, "well, that was boring."  Morgan (always much sweeter in her sentiments) asked, "can we go on the roof now?"

So we went on the roof. This is in front of the "duck palace," the place where the ducks sleep at night.

Looking out over downtown...

 This totally reminds me of the pic from the "Shout Out to Anderson" post where these two are poking their faces through my back fence to watch the tractors....sniff sniff...I guess that explains why I took, and posted, 3 of them...sigh...

 You can see the Redbird Stadium...

 Jacob "found" Grammy's building...he was actually close.  We couldn't actually see her office building, it was behind the one he thought was it, but I didn't tell him that. He said he was able to find it faster than Morgan and I because he wears glasses...
After the roof, which was much more exciting than the ducks, thank goodness, we met Grammy for lunch.  After lunch, the real adventure began...
Waiting for the trolley




They loved the trolley. Mom even offered to pick us up from Mud Island so we wouldn't have to ride it back to our car (because it moves slowly of course) but they wanted to ride it back!

We rode the trolley to Mud Island, which is free, you just have to pay to ride the monorail if that is how you want to get across (as opposed to walking). Of course we chose the monorail!!





And once we got to Mud Island, they had a blast. They could have stayed MUCH longer than we did...



It's hard to see Jacob's face in this next one, but he is pretending to be Godzilla, standing on the bridges...Morgan is of smiling sweetly  ;)
 Getting soaked...




 If one poses one way, the other has to also...





2 comments:

  1. You offically win the award for BEST mom/aunt ever! And cousin! :) Love all of the outings and Jacob's comments. Can't wait to see you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worried sick all day with you & the kids at MudIsland. So glad that it turned out to be a wonderful day & everyone had fun. Love you & those 2 little bits of energy

    ReplyDelete